Sunday, February 28, 2010

London Calling

Hello!

So I am about to leave for Scotland in about 10 minutes so I thought I should probably write my blog about London last weekend. London was in one word...amazing. I have wanted to go there my entire life and it was well worth the trip. To sum it up it was about good sights, good food, good friends. Alyssa, Annie, Britt, Jenni, and I headed to the Copenhagen airport a bit early in the morning last friday. Our flight was a 1:15 so we just relaxed for a while and talked, got massive amounts of food, it was all good. I consumed a whole box of pringles, sour cream and onion, which I think was worth it due to my deprivation of chips over here.
Also, security here in CPH is a lot more 'lax than at home, you don't even need to remove your shoes and they don't even check your passport really (maybe once). So we get to London where we are supposed to me Alex, Britt's freshman year roommate, who also goes to Gettysburg. So we are wandering around Heathrow baggage claim trying to find her, and Britt is suprised she is nowhere in sight because she always sticks to promises (and she said she'd pick us up). SO, we finally get in touch with her via phone and turns out the tube was broken (the line to the airport) and she had tried to get there for over an hour before they kicked off everyone on the train alltogether. So the 5 of us took a very expensive cab to her apartment. I think split between 5 of us it was about 20 pounds each.

So expensive, but we got to see some of London as we navigated there. We finally got to her, she felt really bad, then we crammed all into her little single apartment with the greatest location right by Waterloo Station. I was already in awe as she took us around, across the bridge, to trafalgar square, big ben and parliament...all beautiful as the sun was setting. I was already in love with London and it had only been 3 hours.

Scariest thing ever was trying to climb this lion statue for perfect photo-op at trafalgar square. Thought I was gonna die and fall to my death on to the hard cement, but somehow made it.
We continued to just tour/walk around. Alex was the best touguide, and was all weekend. She was so good to us and we would have been horribly lost without here.

We decided to head back to her apartment, change, go out to the cheapest london dinner we could find, then went out to this place called Oxygen Bar. We stayed there the entire night, where we encountered many strange things such as a Bachelorette's party, sketchy old men, spaniards both by the name of Javiar, Australians, and much more. I probably have the least amount of stories from this night, but ask the others, they'll tell you.

So we head back pretty late, but we were ready to make the most of saturday. We woke up kinda late and didn't get out of the apartment until noon. But thankfully there are starbucks and a tube pass to get us all around London all day. So we head to Kings cross station, see platform 9 and 3/4...my dream is complete. We also head to Buckingham palace and walk around the park a bit. It was so pretty and the weather was perfect and sunny. A nice change since it's always overcast and cold in Copenhagen. Thankfully it didn't rain!

We also headed to Abbey Road and tried to mimic the infamous album cover. Harder then you think, considering it's a real street with a good amount of traffic. Also hard when you have this creepy man who waits for someone to take a pic (loiters near you) then puts on this sketchy white murderer mask and his black hood up..and follows you..only to ruin your picture. Happened multiple times, I wanted to kill the guy.

I believe we ended Saturday with a trip to Westminster Abbey which was so beautiful. The sun was just setting and I got some amazing pictures. It was a nice day to just walk around and explore with friends. I'm probably forgetting some things now since it's a week later.

Saturday night we headed to chinatown for some good chinese good to celebrate the chinese new year. So many lanterns everywhere, it was so pretty. We then went out to this place called O'Neill's with 4 floors and a live cover band which was amazing. Of course we were in the front row, intensely dancing, which I don't think anyone else in the crowd did. We looked a little crazy, but I guess that's what Gburg does to us.

We ended the night a little bit earlier so we could wake up in time the next day sunday, go out to breakfast, and hang out before leaving England.
Overall, it was a wonderful weekend. I am rushing now because I am off to Scotland for a week with my class!
Will update then...and Eddie will be here!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment